As we get ready to celebrate Christmas, I wanted to share some school highlights at St. Mary’s Prep and ask God’s blessings for all of us in 2017.
- Increase in Spanish instruction: Grades 5-8: 2X/week
- Expanding disciplinary units across subjects and grade levels
- Having upper grade students “buddying” with our younger students from help before school, reading to students, and organizing the Polar Express. Thanks to H&SA for donating mugs with hot chocolate to add to the day.
- Utilizing a $10,050 security grant, with security funding we are installing security cameras and monitor in Pre-K, expanding the number of cameras in the front of the school and in hallways, replacing the gate outside in the parking lot, additional monitor for Dawn Klaar, allowing both Mary & Dawn to have access, replacing security gate in hallway, and adding second access point for rear door. The order has been approved, and installation will be forthcoming.
- Lighting, using an energy grant and loan – all lighting in the school has been replaced with LED lighting, allowing better lighting and lowering energy costs.
- New Chromebooks are being used in middle school, and new Lenovo laptops are being utilized in the lab.
- Service community projects include: collecting for food drive, toiletries, hats and mittens – all to be donated to Catholic Charities and Denville Social Services.
- Schoolwide Values Project – To support and live the values we believe in as a Catholic school community, we have implemented highlighting and celebrating a value each month. Each grade level takes a month as a facilitator – Respect in September, Grade 3; Kindness in October, Grade 2; Generosity in November, Grade K, and others to follow monthly. Student examples of these values are celebrated throughout the school.
- Our Christmas Concert and Nativity put us all in the Christmas spirit. Our thanks to Mr. Donahue and all our students for a great performance.
- We are partnering with the Spanish Honor Society at Morris Catholic H.S. to offer free tutoring sessions after school, beginning in mid-January. More information will be coming.
As part of Catholic Schools Week, we will be having our Eighth Grade students be student ambassadors, giving tours to parents, and sharing their experiences at St. Mary’s Prep.
Thank you for your support throughout the year; we value your partnership and input.
Best wishes for a blessed Christmas and peace and happiness in 2017.
Margaret McCluskey, Ed. D.